Acute Myeloid Leukemia
Acute myeloid leukemia (AML) is the most common acute leukemia affecting adults.1 AML occurs when a mutation takes place in the DNA of a type of white blood cell called a myeloblast that is found in bone marrow.2 In 2021, it is estimated that there will be more than 19,000 people diagnosed with AML.3
Pediatric Acute Myeloid Leukemia
- The overall 5 year survival rate for children with AML has increased over time and is now in the range of 65% to 70%. However, survival rates my vary depending on the subtype of AML and other factors.4
Adolescent and Young Adult Acute Myeloid Leukemia
- Leukemia is the leading cause of cancer death in both males and females ages 15-29 years old.5
Adult Acute Myeloid Leukemia
- AML is one of the most common types of leukemia in adults and its incidence significantly increases with age.6,7
- The median age of diagnosis is 68 years old.8
While AML may be treatable, everyone's journey may be different. Survivorship in AML begins the day of diagnosis and continues throughout life, even for a patient in remission. It is considered on of the most complex aspects of the cancer experience because it is different for every patient.
Always remember to speak with your oncologist and other members of your healthcare team about resources and tools that can help you navigate your cancer journey.
Download our latest AML Fact Sheet to learn more.
1 American Cancer Society. Acute Myeloid Leukemia. https://www.cancer.org/cancer/acute-myeloid-leukemia/about/what-is-aml.html. Accessed March 10, 2021.
2. Mayo Clinic. Acute myelogenous leukemia. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/acute-myelogenous-leukemia/symptoms-causes/syc-20369109. Accessed March 10, 2021.
3. American Cancer Society. Key Statistics for Acute Myeloid Leukemia. https://www.cancer.org/cancer/acute-myeloid-leukemia/about/key-statistics.html. Accessed March 11, 2021.
4. American Cancer Society. Survival Rates for Childhood Leukemia. https://www.cancer.org/cancer/leukemia-in-children/detection-diagnosis-staging/survival-rates.html. Accessed on March 12, 2021.
5. American Cancer Society. Facts and Figures. https://www.cancer.org/latest-news/facts-and-figures-2020.html. Accessed on March 12, 2021
6. National Cancer Institute. Cancer Stat Facts: Leukemia-Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML). https://seer.cancer.gov/statfacts/html/amyl.html. Accessed on March 11, 2021.
7. American Cancer Society. Key Statistics for Acute Myeloid Leukemia. https://www.cancer.org/cancer/acute-myeloid-leukemia/about/key-statistics.html. Accessed March 11, 2021.
8. National Cancer Institute. Cancer Stat Facts: Leukemia-Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML). https://seer.cancer.gov/statfacts/html/amyl.html. Accessed on March 11, 2021.
More from Servier
Servier Pharmaceuticals' medicines change the lives of the patients we serve. Currently, within the United States, oncology treatment and care are our immediate focus.Learn More
Servier Pharmaceuticals is a privately held pharmaceutical company focused on oncology. Everything we do is to bring the promise of tomorrow to the patients we serve.Learn More
Research & Development
We invest in the research and development of innovative medicines, all designed with the goal to best address the unmet needs of patients.Learn More